Sunday, December 2, 2007

love adjustable waist corduroys that are on sale! (no, not for me. although that is one cost-effective solution)

I was checking out http://www.cafepress.com/ and I found a shirt that says, "I'm with neurotypical." I also found one about fragile x, but it's not majorly awesome. I need to think of something clever. I do like the, "I'm not naughty, I'm autistic," but Punkin doesn't have that label. Plus, I'd like to raise awareness about FX more specifically. I should start that letter writing campaign to Oprah. And Ellen. I would love to meet Ellen. I can totally see myself acting a fool, dancing on her stage. Hilarious.


Sometimes I feel like we go days without having any major meltdowns. Other times I feel like we have been having a major meltdown for days. This leaves me feeling a bit drained intellectually. All I can think is, "Use your words. What do you want? Can you find the picture? No hitting. Gentle hands. Not a choice."

The hyperactivity is reaching a new level of "Omygoshwhatisgoingon?" Speaking of attention spans, I found another shirt on cafepress that I meant to tell you about but I forgot. It had a mommy duck and three baby ducks. Two of them were following the mommy and the last one was facing the opposite direction, chasing a butterfly. It would be better if I had pictures of these shirts, but I clicked out of the screen and now I am too lazy to go searching for them again. Back to the hyperactivity. I am learning to ignore the stares in public when he screams and takes off across the department store.

However, the unsolicited parenting advice is killing me. Partly because sometimes it's disguised as friendly baby talk. "Oh! Where are your shoes you silly boy? It's so cold. Tell your mommy, say, I need my shoes. Yes I do." Thank you. Thankyouverymuch. Cause it never occurred to me to put shoes on his feet. HIS SHOES ARE IN MY PURSE BECAUSE HE IS POST MELTDOWN BECAUSE I HAD TO TAKE HIM TO THE POST OFFICE EARLIER AND HE WAS HUNGRY AND TIRED BUT HE CAN'T TAKE A NAP BECAUSE HE FELL ASLEEP FOR 5 MINUTES IN THE CAR AND HE THREW HIS SHOE AT ME AND I AM JUST TRYING TO LEAVE THE STORE WITH MY HOT DOGS AND PINEAPPLE BECAUSE THAT IS ALL HE WILL EAT EVEN THOUGH I WOULD LOVE TO COOK SOME CHICKEN STIR FRY AND CAESAR SALAD INSTEAD.

Okay, I'm done now.

7 comments:

Kristiem10 said...

Oh, I can so relate. Blake is forever removing his shoes, and usually throwing them at me.

And when he gets tired of waiting while shopping, he removes his clothes. This causes many an unsolicited comment.

Laura said...

Ugh. Why do people think they get to put their two cents in??? The only time I ever stare at mothers is when they're screaming at / hitting their children. And not just, "You're in time out!" screaming but "You piece of &*$*#^&" screaming. I would never think I have the right to tell another mom how to do her job. Especially when she (aka YOU) is doing such an amazing one. Don't let it get you down.

Jennie said...

Let the air out of their tires. Or sweetly say, "My son has Fragile X Syndrome and doesn't always do things the way other kids do them. Do you know anything about Fragile X?" If they don't back away in shame, tell them a little bit about it. I know this is a PITA for you, but you can spread awareness and make people think about HOW FRIGGIN RUDE they are at the same time!

Maddy said...

Oh dear. I always wait for a witty response to bounce into my brain. It usually does, but only when I've already got home.
Cheers
Something peculiar has happened to blogger comments so just for now, this is my calling card "Whittereronautism"so we can find each other.

SB said...

strangers can be morons. It's TRUE. I have judged other people harshly before. I am not proud of it. But man, living 19 years with Jonathan's issues teaches you humility in the face of something much bigger than yourself.

I usually ignore people until they are rude or unbearable.

I do try and increase awareness when I can.....but sometimes, you just get the heck out of the store.

I think you are an amazing mother. Don't let the turkies bring you down. You're an EAGLE.

Tara said...

I think you should get this one!! http://www.cafepress.com/buy/autism+disability/-/pv_design_details/pg_6/id_14447672/opt_/fpt_/c_666/
or I like the one that says, I have [insert disability], what's your excuse? haha! Or the one about staring won't cure me!

the other lion said...

Oh my gosh! That is so cute!