Thursday, January 17, 2008

ask me if i'm an orange

Are you an orange?
NO!

A most monumental occassion: we survived the first thirty-four page IEP. He has five goals, some are social-emotional and some are academic. All are realistic and exactly what I would want to see him achieve this year. One of them has to do with being able to transition better, another has to do with handling his emotions, and another has to do with increasing from one-word utterances to three-word sentences. The fourth goal has to do with basic math skills like sorting by color and the last one addresses fine motor skills. I feel very blessed to have such a dedicated, down-to-earth, trustworthy team working with us. They genuinely want the best for him and take my role seriously, too. Another way the Lord provides for us.

From now on, I am scheduling all of my WIC appointments for 5:00pm. Oh my goodness! Everyone was in such a big hurry to go home that the entire visit took maybe 30 minutes. Compared to the usual hour, this was a majorly pleasant surprise.

Tomorrow is the big day at the behavior clinic. Then comes the birthday party. (CAKE!) THen the first full day in his new room. Then comes the doctor's appointment. And then birthday stress settles into regular life again. I'm excited, though, because he's already doing such a nice job in his new room. There will, of course, be challenges once the transition is final. But overall, I am feeling very hopeful.

My next project? Getting him a small trampoline with a bar on the end to keep at home. Doesn't that sound crazy and fun?

Okay. Here's the deal: 1. If you read this, leave a comment. 2. What do you want to hear about? Ask me anything!

13 comments:

tallguy said...

Does everybody change?

Anonymous said...

Hey Squirt! So glad the IEP went well! They are always so much more empowering for everyone when the whole team is on the same page! I want to hear....when exactly was it that I started calling you squirt? What decoration theme things can this auntie provide for the party??? BTW...I'm taking care of plates/decorations/etc.

Sarah said...

i am just glad to hear it went well! i can't believe that he is almost three...it's so crazy how time flies! i hope the party is good. (and the transitioning, of course!)

much love!

Andrea said...

I of course read this on a regular basis. I enjoy reading your everyday life. I like hearing about what is going on with you and your little Punkin (who is getting sooo big, btw).

Kristiem10 said...

So, is today Punkin's actual birthday? I don't know why I don't know this.

I am glad your IEP went so well. It is great when you know the team wants him to achieve as much as you do.

And great idea about the WIC appointments. How often do you have to go?

Anonymous said...

Birthdays are so much fun. Though stressful, savor them. That's what I'm learning. And good idea with WIC.

Hugs!

Laura said...

i want to hear about where they sell such a trampoline! boo will tell you that i still haven't mailed her christmas present, so i can't promise that david's birthday gift will be on time...heh. i hope this three day weekend will enable me to be productive! i love you!

bridgett said...

hi! we went to college together.

Alice said...

You know I read every post! I'm happy your appointments went well.

Anonymous said...

Your cousin Jenny reads... and is quite satisfied with the stories provided!

Are you an orange?

SB said...

Try Freecycle for the handle-bar trampoline. People in my area give them away frequently.

:)

Jennie said...

I want to hear about your sooper-dooper nine-pounder! And I loooove to hear your happiness. And your hilarious girl talk. Congrats on all the good news!

Anonymous said...

I am first time reader. My son is 21 months and diagnosed with FXS three months before. Still struggling with life and can’t stop thinking about this. Its not easy but try to read and comfort myself. His behaviors and sleep are the big issues. How was your son’s birthday Party? I have long way to go.