Sunday, January 6, 2008

some people's kids

I can't believe I forgot to mention our other new lamp. Silly Monna. We got it for Christmas from Punkin's Godfather. At first he was just excited because it was a tractor (tra-nner). But once I turned it on, he kept saying, "Wow. Wow. Wow. Light. Wow." Perseveration is a funny thing. It is simultaneously annoying, aggravating, heartwarmingly funny, and charming. Like when he asks for something and I say yes, and he keeps asking me and repeating yes right afterwards. Or when I put him in his carseat the other day in the parking lot of the grocery store when I was feeling frustrated and tired and he asked for a hug. Then he asked for another hug. Then he pulled me towards him and asked for a hug. Then he hugged me again. And again. We did this approximately 15 times. And it makes me think I just wouldn't want life any other way.

But then there's the nights he gets out of bed 40 times in a row. Okay, so maybe it was 20 times. Okay 21. (He just opened the door again.) And I need to remind myself of his sweetness in order to maintain my patience. Like when he crawled out of bed to kneel with me next to his bed and pray. Or when he spontaneously plants a kiss right on my lips. Or when he laughs at me when I try to be stern. How could I possibly be upset with such an angel? Because I'm human, that's how! But the frustration is short lived, and the good times are what carries me.

2 comments:

Kristiem10 said...

What a lovely post. It is so true. Some perseverations make me crazy. Some are so sweet that you can't help but love them. (both the perseveration and the kid)

That is one heck of a tractor light. I can see that going over well at this house.

FXSmom said...

Cool present!!