Thursday, February 28, 2008

bouncing back

Yesterday was the day for getting it off my chest. Today is the day for moving forward. After I take Lion's advice and eat a big bowl of ice cream.

I was determined to keep him up until 8pm. The more I considered it, the more it made sense. My instinct was that he was sleeping so much on the weekends to make up for a lack of sleep during the week. But the flip side of the argument is logical as well. So I'm embracing it.

I also made a chart to record how long it takes him to fall asleep and the number of times he wakes up during the night. If nothing else, it will help me to more clearly see the situation.

I was determined for 8pm. We stuck it out until 7:45pm. He got up once and laid in the doorway between the kitchen and living room. I never got up to see what he was doing, but it sounded like he was just listening to the swishing his pajamas made against the plastic "wood" floor. After 20 minutes he got up, shut the door, and made a lot of noise climbing into bed. He got up one more time after that. At 8:20 I checked on him and he was asleep in the middle of the floor.

Other things I want to implement include a stricter sensory diet, a snack before bed (he generally doesn't want one, but I want to offer it), and cutting down on tv time. By a sensory diet I mean specific sensory activities such as jumping on his trampoline, bouncing, playing in the water, using the therapy ball, pushing/moving heavy objects, and playful wrestling that his teacher and I do at the same times each day. My theory is that if I focus on sensory needs, he will be calmer throughout the day as well as at bedtime. My theory is also that cutting down on tv time may or may not actually happen. But I will attempt it. =)

TGIF.

OH -- I totally deserve a cookie or a medal, preferably a cookie. I so cut my son's hair today. Just around the ears and across the back, but still. I cut it and everyone kept all of their body parts.

4 comments:

Kristiem10 said...

A plan of attack is a good thing. So is a sensory diet. Are you familiar with the Wilbarger Protocol? We did it for awhile with Drew. It took way too much commitment for me to do it every two hours as prescribed, but it was calming for him. We whittled it down to doing it 15 minutes before bedtime. It did help him sleep. We also found that since he is hypersensitive to noise, so we purchased a white noise machine for his room. That helped for awhile, too. Another thing that helped sometimes was covering him up with a weighted blanket as he fell asleep. You aren't supposed to keep it on all night, because they can get desesnitized to it, but it is calming while they are falling asleep. I am sorry I didn't think of these things for you yesterday. The main problem for us is the some things work sometimes, but not everything works all the time. I hope you can get some relief.

FXSmom said...

You so remind me of me when I was your age and doing the single mom thing with my little man. Be emotional one day, get it all out and the focus on the plan of attack the next day. Sounds like a good plan and worth a shot. Keep us updated on how it goes.

Sarah said...

huge hug for you. i'm sure you will get through this, with or without the aid of ice cream. although ice cream definitely helps!

p.s., i just got a valentine's day card in the mail that TOTALLY made me smile. it's now duct taped to the wall. i love you guys SO MUCH!

Umma said...

I'm glad to see you're bouncing back quickly! One other thing that you can try at night also is turning down the lights. Nothing over 60 watts (trying to stick to table lamps rather than overhead lamps) and no tv for 1/2 hour before bed is supposed to help jump start your brain for bed.

PS - You inspired me to get out the scissors myself which is normally a Duhdee task but he needed it!