Saturday, March 8, 2008

i think i have a drinking problem

Punkin and I are heading towards the registers at a major discount store. He is behaving amazingly well, and I can't help but smother him in kisses of appreciation. In the background, I hear a little girl screaming and crying in a fit of anger. I look to see a grandma, a mom, and the adorable (really, even upset) girl one register away. The mom reports to the grandma that, "It's because I wouldn't give her Cheetos." I smile to myself in understanding, sending her telepathic messages of support. The two women part ways. The mom, now, is to the left of me and the grandma is to the right. The man at the register helping the grandma asks about the child; she explains about the Cheetos. He responds, rather loudly, with at least five minutes of, "Wow. Just because of some Cheetos? I think I'd give her the stupid Cheetos just to shut her up. Man, that's embarassing. If that was my kid, I'd be so embarassed. I think I'd give her the Cheetos just to shut her up. Wow. All that over some Cheetos."

I look towards him in disbelief; he knows this is the child's grandma. And even if it wasn't, I mean, ????? GAHHHH!!!?? Stupid bleached-blonde, huge plastic glasses, king of rude, freak of the universe. You're the cashier. You say hello, you ring up my diapers, and you tell me to have a nice day. Why don't YOU just shove some Cheetos in YOUR mouth and shutup? Jerk. He was talking so loud I could hear him at the next register!

The grandma and I make eye contact, "I'm with your daughter. You can't give in every time." The rude tool continues his judgement, "Ya, but I mean, even if you just gave 'em to her in the store. Just to shut her up."

On may way out, I spot the grandma waiting for her daughter and granddaughter (who is still yelling). I can't help myself. I stop, "Excuse me?" She has teary eyes. "I'm sorry to intrude, but I'm so sorry about that man. He was so rude. He was the one behaving badly. Your daughter is doing just fine." Inadequate words, but hopefully taken as sincere and well-intended.

In other news, what should have been a difficult day due to Daylight Savings Time has been remarkably simple. Little Man woke up at 7am (6am real time), took a nap from 11:15-12:00pm(10:15-11) during church, and fell asleep at 6:50pm (5:50pm) while watching Mickey Mouse.

OH, and guess who ate chicken strips two days in a row? I'll give you a hint -- it wasn't just me.

And I talked to his pediatrician, who seemed surprised that he wasn't going to be having a sleep study done. We just talked briefly over the phone, but I suggested that I call him in about a month so that we can discuss Punkin's progress. He agreed that it was a good idea. So that's that.

Why haven't I turned off Mickey Mouse yet?

OH, I bought curtains. As I told my friends at church, it's getting pretty classy around this joint with the new (matching) lamps, new rug (sans truck decorations), new slipcover, and now (striped!) curtains. Movin' on up.

So I have a busy week. In addition to Bible Study on Tuesday and church on Wednesday, I am hosting Bunko Monday and a jewelry party Thursday. (I know, I'm cray-zay.) In order to have a successful party, one naturally needs some beverages and eats. So I'm carting in all these sodas and chips and fruit and wine and trying to watch Punkin and CRASH! A brand new bottle of Bacardi Razz (you mix it with Sprite -- not the individual bottles) lands all over the cement. While I'm grateful it happened outside, I am ticked it happened at all. So I open one of the bottles of wine. (Might as well, I have to go back to the store tomorrow now anyway.) I'm enjoying a glass and talking to my sister when CRASH. I knock my glass over. I think I have a drinking problem.

(Image from http://www.cafepress.com/ -- tons of cool autism/disability related shirts and more.)

4 comments:

Kristiem10 said...

People can be such jerks. Way to go for saying a kind word.

And, as far as the spilling alcohol goes, that sounds like me. Now I want to go out and buy some Razz.

Anonymous said...

It makes me think of a story about when I was a small child that my grandma likes to tell.
My brother and I were in a Ben Franklin with my mom and grandma. The Bro decided that he wanted this plastic container of candy, and proceeded to open it and spill it all over the floor (thinking that if he opened it, my mom HAD to give it to him). Mom grabbed him by the arm, dragged him up to the cash register (as he was throwing a tantrum), paid for the candy and told the woman to throw it in the garbage (more tantrum ensued). Then she forcibly removed him from the store. When my grandma and I came through the line a few minutes later, the cashier said she gave my mom a lot of credit, because a lot of people would have just let him have the candy.
To make a long story short, I'm with you...even though I'm not a mom, I am also incredulous and angry at that kid's (the cashier's, not the little girl's) behavior.
Love, your friend Laura in WI

Anonymous said...

We can only hope that cashier has an ah hah moment when he has a child. You are so sweet for approaching that mom. I think we could all use that kind of encouragement at some point or another while raising our children. I'm very proud of you.
Love, Aunt Patty

FXSmom said...

what a rude jerk! WTG stating your opinion and making those guys feel better. I hope that guy doesn't ever procreate...grrr.