Wednesday, August 13, 2008

cold turkey

I decided today that after 3 years and 5 months, Punkin needs to officially lose the pacifier. I think it's going to be harder for me than for him --except tonight when I randomly sprung the news only an hour before bedtime. All the times I tried quitting before, I would plan to stop tomorrow night or on the weekend or after his birthday or after the trip. But if you really want to quit something, you quit it. You don't procrastinate. That poor little boy, asking so nicely for something that has been freely handed out every other day of his life, gets denied. But better deny him and make him cry than have him walking around with a pacifier in fifth grade.
I told him to tell Nuk (pacifier) night-night and threw it away. It took about 20 minutes and there were fewer tears than anticipated. Also he never took his chewy tube, which I offered as a lame substitute. So it confirms that the pacifier is more of a comfort item than an actual sensory input tool.

I used one of Mrs. Rodger's ideas to make a schedule for Punkin. It's not been perfected yet, so if you have any suggestions please let me know. For example, should the days of the week be along the left side so that the schedule moves from left to right or is moving down better? I definitely want to get a big "Today" chip clip or clothespin to move along from day to day. I know that some of it is going to be over his head, but I want to get him use to things like this now so that they are hopefully more effective when he's older. And he really responds to the other schedules in his life -- the one at school and the respite schedule I made. The ultimate goal is to make Sunday less stressful and Monday less sad.

4 comments:

Kristiem10 said...

You are my hero! Wow, so organized. I keep saying I need to do that, but I haven't yet. I am still working on my DVD binder. As far as whether the days should go across the top or down the side, I don't think it really matters, since he'll get used to it either way. And, way to go on losing the pacifier. You rock, mama.

Maddy said...

We have tick down charts, pec charts, schedules for each one of them, it's a navigation nightmare [just for me]!

I think for me, if I was starting over I would think
a] big
b] maximum flexibility so that nothing is cast in stone so that it can be rejigged regularly to take account of unexpected changes
c] something that can stand independently [like a picture frame flap at the back] and can be 'hung' i.e. basically portable
d] duplicate it in a smaller version the size of a pocket photo book so that he can take it with him.
e] that's all I can think of for the moment.
Cheers

Jen said...

An idea:(maybe this is what you already plan to do :) ...only have the schedule of the particular day up. Each night, you could review what he did that day, and take them down, and then together, put up the schedule for the following day. I agree with the portable photo book idea.

Anonymous said...

I would keep the chart the way it is...with the days of the week across the top of the chart. This is the way calendars are made. Also, most classrooms use this format and likely the one Punkin will see at school as he gets older.
Kudos on losing the pacifier.
Love you, Aunt Kim