Thursday, December 11, 2008

Maybe it's Christmas coming up, maybe it's some temporary changes at work, maybe it's the insane cold that isn't even that cold yet, but this week has just been long and my patience has been short. Today was a much-needed success, however, because Punkin wore the same pair of undies all day! This probably has something to do with the fact that he refused to poop at school, but I'll take it. I've been going back and forth about whether or not to have him just wear pull-ups but continue the same routine. But let's face it, the threat of an accident in underwear is a much stronger incentive to stop working and run to the potty than the threat of a wet pull-up. And there are some ideas that I was given by the behavioral psychologist last year that may need to be implemented.

In other news, he chewed through Woody's foot today, causing an avalanche of tiny white beads. I'm just hoping he didn't swallow too many. =) I'd share a picture, but my camera was dropped and now the door to the memory card and battery won't open. So I need to see if the manufacturer will fix it or not. I'm guessing not, but I will try. I purchased an extended accident warranty, though, so either way I should be okay. SHOULD be okay.
I just need prayers and warm thoughts, I think, because I'm going through the cycle: charge full speed ahead, burn out, get some contentment, feel guilty, charge full speed ahead. And right now I'm feeling guilty. I don't play with him enough, I don't work on life skills enough, I don't know how to help him cope with his emotional and sensory needs. And I know it's irrational. I KNOW I'm doing my best and that most mothers and fathers must feel this way at some point. I think this time of year is hard. It's IEP time, Christmas, and birthday. I'm faced once again with how far he's come, where he hasn't grown, and how he compares to his peers. The toys I can't buy because they are inappropriate. The traditions he doesn't understand. The food he won't eat. The difficulty of too many people and too many demands. And then there's the
appointments with the doctors.
*Sigh*
I think staying up until 11pm blogging probably doesn't help, either. Good night!

6 comments:

Kristiem10 said...

Hey! It sounds like he's doing pretty well if he wore the same undies all day. Go Punkin! And, I'll keep you in my prayers.

FXSmom said...

omg that is fantastic!!! go punkin :)

Jennie said...

Any day without pee on the blanket is a good day. :) Dr. Jennie prescribes a chocolate.

Anonymous said...

Auntie Em prescribes a few girly nights with wine! I'll be there to help out! I have 2 weeks off! I'll be home for a good long time!

Sarah said...

I can totally relate to feeling guilty and stressed...but it is awesome that Punkin made it through the day with the same undies. And I second the chocolate and wone suggestions.

Holly's Mom said...

I can totally relate to the feeling of "am I doing everything I can" don't beat yourself up, you are such a good mommy, i share your stories with my IRL Family and friends all the time, you are an inspiration.