Tuesday, June 9, 2009

medication update

I forgot to mention in the last post that we are NOT Packers fans. Auntie is a Packers fan, and sometimes Punkin wants to wear a green shirt. *sigh*

I called the doctor and told him that the Sertraline (Zoloft) is amazing; Punkin hasn't hit his head on the wall/floor or scratched, hit or gagged himself in a week. He used to do those things multiple times a day. He is generally happy and agreeable. I mean, he's really that way anyway, but now he's not having fits of rage mixed in with bouts of joy.

Also, he played with a KOOSH BALL. Also, he kissed me ON THE LIPS. I haven't gotten a kiss on my face since he was a baby. I mean, maybe one or two, but that is IT. And real, around-the-neck hugs were also a rarity. His teachers agree that he is just so much fun, which I honestly didn't know was possible because he's pretty fun to begin with. =)

He may be talking more, but like his speech pathologist said, "If he doesn't slow down, it won't make any difference!" Basically the percentage of intelligible words is the same, he's just saying more. So instead of understanding 20% of 50 words, she is understanding 20% of 100 words.

The problem, I told the doctor, is with the lack of Clonidine. The child has no impulse control. I forgot how much work it used to be just to walk to the car or sit at the table. How could I forget so quickly? God's mercy, perhaps. =) I mean, I let go of his hand to open the door to his school and he's almost in the street. The kid has roadrunner in his genes.

So he checked and gave me the go-ahead to give him the Clonidine again. I double-checked with the pharmacist because, well, he's my baby and phramacists know things, and she agreed it was fine. So I'm giving the Clonidine at night with his Prevacid (acid reflux) and the Zoloft in the morning with a lot of candy. That stuff must taste disgusting because Punkin doesn't complain about taking medicine, but he almost spit it out.

Anyway, he's asleep and I'm happy. And hopefully this sticks for a while.

Oh, and The Very Hungry Caterpillar movie is available from Disney Movie Club. It's basically that story and four others set to minimal animation and music. Very cute. Scholastic has similar movies, the most popular probably being Chicka Chicka Boom Boom.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

How do you know Punkins not a Green Bay Packers fan?...He seems to be pretty happy in that shirt.

Punkin's Oma said...

He is NOT a slackers fan. He wears that shirt when it doesn't matter if it gets ruined.

Kristiem10 said...

That is great! Sounds like pairing the clonodine with the Zoloft might be just the thing.

Anonymous said...

I think he can be whatever fan he wants to be Oma.

FXSmom said...

See THIS!!! is why my baby girl needs Zoloft. prozac is just not a good fit but I did try. Now bio dad (who didn't like the meds idea) won't let me try a switch. Grrr....