Monday, August 24, 2009

about a thousand dollars later ....

It's been deduced that I am most likely experiencing migraines. All of my tests -- CT, MRI, MRV/MRA, EEG, and opthamologist exam -- came back normal, which is good news because otherwise the options were like brain tumor, stroke, seizure, optic nerve disease, blood clot, glaucoma, retinal detachment, ect. So I'd say migraines sound pretty darn good in comparison to any of those things.

And what really clinched it is that, oh goody, I started getting headaches about a week ago to go along with the blurred vision. They are definitely moderate and controllable with typical pain meds, so I count myself very, very, very, very lucky in that regard. However, they are happening about 6-8 times a day and bring with them the feeling that my head weighs approximately 127 pounds. So she prescribed Topiramate (Topamax) to take twice a day and told me to come back in a month. I will probably have to have a repeat MRI in a year because a small, tiny, most likely nothing something came up on the MRI and it's standard operating procedure to repeat the test later.

I am SO SO fortunate to have good insurance. However, no insurance (except Punkin's) pays 100%, so I am awaiting a few hefty bills. The peace of mind is worth it, though, and I know they will let me make payments.

In other news that is not related to me talking about my health problems ad nauseam, Mr. Punkin did two very typical things this weekend. I love it when he does regular kid stuff -- even when it's coloring all over the walls with dry erase markers that won't completely wash off -- because I can so clearly see beyond his disability in those moments. He's just being a kid.

The second thing? He's decided that the Elmo DVD case is a pizza box. I kid you not, people; I canNOT make these things up. He comes up to me, "Whas iside? Whas iside? Is it? OHHH! Pizza!" and shoves it in my face, "Num num num!!"

The kid is pretending. PRETENDING. *Proud Mama Smile*

6 comments:

sarah said...

I'm so glad that it's nothing serious! I hope the meds work for you with no ill side effects or anything as well.

I am imagining Punkin pretending the case is a pizza box, and it's bringing a smile to my face. :)

Sarah said...

I'm glad to hear you're okay! And I hope the migraines can be controlled with meds. How cute that Punkin was pretending.

fragilemom said...

Hope to hear the headaches go away. Keep us posted. Ian and Punkin would get along great...Ian LOVES pizza and loves for anything to include pizza!

Vicki Davis said...

So sweet! I love that he was pretending@! Feel better.

Jana Nickle said...

What an imagination! Love it! Glad to hear its not serious with you too! Have a great day!

Kristiem10 said...

I have a cousin/carrier on topamax for migraines, and it has helped her. I love the elmo pizza box thing. Punkin's so smart!