Saturday, October 17, 2009

there's a snake in my boot!

Last weekend when Punkin and I went to my college's homecoming, he had a bit of a meltdown when a few of us went to the mall to wander around later in the day. At one point he and I were sitting against the wall outside Bath and Body Works, he was sprawled across my lap, and I was tickling him and teasing, "No money! No water! No money!" See, he REALLY wanted to go back and see the fountain (water) with the pennies (money) in the bottom, but we needed to wait for our friends. And whenever he gets riled up lately, it helps break the cycle to give him a good tickle. I can only imagine the scene we made.


Now fast forward to this past Saturday. My sister and I, with monetary assistance from Oma and Opa (thanks!), make impromptu plans to meet for lunch and whatever else the day brings. Punkin is stoked. He is ready. He is also hungry. I decide that the hour and a half trip warrants a "snack" from McDonalds. He's four; he requires a pre-lunch. Anyway, I pull up to window number one and realize that in my hurry to rid my purse of unecessary clutter, I have rid it of my wallet. We drive the few minutes back home, during which there is not a breath taken between Punkin and I as he asks, "Burger?" and I assure him that, yes, we ARE going back. YOU WILL BE FED.


He begins to doubt me when we pull up to the apartment and I get him out of his seat to go inside. Coming out of the building there are tears -- little ones. As I hoist him up and tickle him into his seat he blurts out in a gruff voice, "NO MONEY! NO BURGER! NO CHIPS"


My four-year-old and I have an inside joke. This is awesome.


The trip was delightful. We ate pizza and "SALAD?! SALAD?!" for lunch. Ranch dressing is Little Man's new favorite food. Then we headed for the downtown area and rode the free trolley. That's when Auntie got the bright idea of taking our lives into our hands and riding THIS:


The Cable Car of Death. It may not look very steep in this photo, but trust me when I say that it is STEEP. And there are no seat belts, no locks on the doors, no person monitoring how many individuals board the PLAIN WOODEN BOX. You just hop on, ride it up, pay the man $2, and ride back down. It was fun, but it's probably good that Oma wasn't there.


After we finished thanking the Dear Lord in Heaven for sparing us, we bought chocolate-covered oreos at a candy shop and headed back to the car. We had looked online and saw that a local mall was hosting a Trick-or-Treat to benefit an organization that helps kids with disabilities, so we thought we'd check it out. It was pretty fun -- once Punkin agreed to wear his costume.


I'm not sure I can describe accurately what it was like to see my sister and I on the floor of a public restroom trying to convince Punkin that wearing weird clothing over his existing outfit was a good idea. There was kicking. Some yelling. "NO YELLOW! NO PANTS!" The lady in the stall must have thought the two of us were crazy when we started laughing.


We finally decided to go walk around un-costumed. We found a bunch of mechanical toy cars and while he was playing, I just slipped his shirt on. At first he said, "No," but I reminded him that this was the gateway to Candy Land. He conceeded and allowed me to put on the pants.


After that he did great. He has two or three more opportunities to Trick-or-Treat, so hopefully it gets easier every time.




I know, Oma did great, right? She got it in Disneyland. Jerk went without me. =)




7 comments:

Punkin's Oma said...

That picture is worth every penny I spent on that costume. I hope he enjoys it often.

Kathy said...

Did you forget you got Mickey Mouse earrings? David looks great. I'm guessing that he will want to wear that everyday when he is use to putting it on. And you were worried about the pj shirt that he likes to wear to school.

Love ya

Anonymous said...

I love the costume!! And yes I think that is the cable car of death!!!
Whitney

Jennie said...

I remember that cable car!!! There is also a miniature shop in that town that I used to LOVE when we went camping in that area.

Kristiem10 said...

"No Yellow! No pants!" totally cracked me up. Blake was Woody a couple years ago.

Laura said...

Woody!

Sarah said...

Love the costume! I'm glad you were able to get it on him and get a pic!