Saturday, June 12, 2010

mommy, again now?

Oma and I visited a friend's yard sale today. She had a few racks of VHS tapes, so Oma picked up a couple including The Rescuers. The kid has not stopped giggling. I think the best is when the mice are hiding inside the pipes of the organ and the mean alligators pound on the keys, blowing them up in the air. You just can't beat a good belly laugh. Also, it's 5pm and he's not flipping out.

I called Punkin's pediatrician last week about his behavior issues. It's becoming rather overwhelming for me. For the most part he can hold it together at school, but once 2pm hits, he starts to break down. And then each half hour after that wields more issues -- tears, throwing toys, defiance, banging his head, hitting, kicking, pinching -- until he ceases to be able to function at all and ends up in a ball on the floor, arms and legs flailing in every direction as I attempt to calm him.

Most times it requires me laying him across a therapy ball and bouncing him as hard as I can for at least five minutes. Other times, if he's stopped throwing objects or isn't self-injuring, I can set him on his bed. But if we're out? Forget it.

And I never know what might set him off. Might be the respite worker coming over. Or, it might be that he doesn't like what I cooked for dinner so he throws his plate, dumps his milk, cries because he knows that's bad, hits me when I put him in time out, bangs his head because hitting me is bad, cries because his head hurts, and then refuses to take a bath because he can't calm down and think straight.

The point? The point is the doctor suggested increasing his afternoon dose of Ritalin to 10mg. I brought up giving him three small doses, but we decided to go this route first to see how it worked in order to avoid any issues with meal times and bedtime. I am NOT messing with bedtime if I don't have to! That is one thing we, for the most part, have conquered.

He's had the increased dose for two days and he's doing fine. It's hard to tell on the weekends, honestly. Next week will be the real test. I know he's having a few issues at school in the special education room, but he's not having any problems in the integrated room. I know there are other children in his special ed room with behavior issues and other kids who require A LOT of attention, so I'm wondering if that is some of the problem. It's also more comfortable in there for him -- kind of like home is more comfortable than school, so he acts up more at home. In the end, I'm wondering if his evenings become calmer, it might smooth out the rest of his day as well. Keeping my fingers crossed!

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

glad things are going well so far- I'm crossing my fingers as well :)
Pam

Kristiem10 said...

Behavior issues can be so frustrating! I hope things ease up. Blake gets irritable by around 4:00 in the afternoon.

bambooska said...

Fingers crossed here as well. I hope he goes well this week and the medicine is taking good care of him.

I just recently started reading your blog. I'm sorry if it's rude to ask but, is this related to the x-gene syndrome you say on your left bar?

the other lion said...

Bambooska -- Not rude at all! You can ask me whatever you want! Yes, people with Fragile X are likely to have behavior problems such as aggression, Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder (ADHD), autism, and sometimes they have autistic behaviors but not autism. I know that last part doesn't make much sense, but that's the doctors explain it.

Because Fragile X is a syndrome, people will have a group of issues all related to that one gene (the fragile x gene). They can include mental retardation, heart problems, ADHD, autism, insomnia, frequent ear infections, and seizures.

Heidi said...

It's funny, before my son I would have read that post and been like, "That poor lady, having to deal with that." Now my sympathy goes to the kid first. My son has Sensory Processing Disorder, which is a lot like that. He can't handle many situations and has several meltdowns. We're told every kid with autism has SPD but not all kids with SPD are autistic. Therapy helps a lot but I have been reading a lot about diets and how they affect the behavior. We switched to soy milk and I was so suprised at the behavior response. Did not think that was going to work. SO I guess this long comment is just to say, "I hear ya sister!"