Monday, August 2, 2010

dear punkin,


You made this for me the first Spring you were in preschool. You were only four months old. I remember wondering why your tiny fingernails had traces of blue and red on them, but being too sleep-deprived to care much.
I love looking at it in the kitchen every day, and thinking of how far you've come and how much you've learned since that first day at only six weeks old.
You've gone from relying on sign language to speaking in full sentences. You are potty-trained. You can tell me what kind of cereal you want. You can identify 14 letters of the alphabet. You are working on writing your name. You can count 5 objects on a good day, 3 when you'd rather not be working. You can play Legos and cars, give me kisses, greet every single person you encounter at the grocery store, say prayers at night, complete a puzzle, and help me read The Very Hungry Caterpillar.
I'm so proud of you that my heart wants to burst. You are the perfect child for me. You make my life better every single day, and you have taught me how to be a more patient and tolerant person. I am so excited for this new journey you are about to embark on, and I know you will soar even further than you have already.
It will be scary at first, especially that first morning, but just remember that the joy we both feel now when I come pick you up from preschool and you say, "I so happy a see you!" will be the same in Kindergarten. I'll try to remember it, too.
Love,
Momma

4 comments:

Holly's Mom said...

So sweet Erika, I can't image Holly being that big, thinking about it makes me want to cry, they grow up so fast and there is so much to be proud of.

Punkin's Oma said...

Ok, that was a great way to start my day. Love you both.

Jennie said...

I was just thinking about your relationship last night/yesterday, and thinking about how, right from the start, you were the perfect Momma for Punkin. You guys are a great team.

Ms. Sakie said...

I hope you realize how blessed and lucky David is to have you. You are truly a match made in heaven. I get teary eyed just thinking about him down with the bigs kids and how much I'll miss him. No one else will call me Ms. Sakie ever and that will always be special to me. Thanks to you Erika for bringing David into my life. I will forever be changed.