Sunday, August 1, 2010

something to think about




I came back to edit this because this video could be rather inflammatory for some people, especially considering the speaker builds his speech by equating using the word retarded and using racial slurs. I have to say that his claim that the intellectually disabled are the most vulnerable people in society and therefore discriminating against them is the worst form of mistreatment, even more than racial discrimination, gave me pause. After listening to his entire speech and considering his points, though, I have to say I agree with his statement.

Those with intellectual disabilities are unable to defend themselves. Even if, for example, Punkin was mistreated and knew it was wrong, would he know what to say and, if necessary, who to report it to and how to report it? I think in most cases he would depend on a third party to not only stand up for himself, but hopefully see what happened and help him communicate that to an authority figure. It's my biggest fear as a mother -- that he'll need me and I won't be there to help.

Whenever I post something about "The R-Word," I have this nagging feeling in the pit of my stomach that I will offend someone or make someone feel bad. I have to let that go. This is important to me, and I hope that those who know me know that I am not attacking anyone's personal character, rather attempting to show that words mean something and we need to consider them carefully.

No comments: