Thursday, October 21, 2010

bad choice, momma

So this one time about a year ago I decided I was really, really, REALLY sick of watching that one awful Christmas movie that may or may not have "accidentally" ended up in the garbage recently and turned on Spongebob. I eventually gave in and bought our first Spongebob DVD.

Fast forward to last weekend when I was talking to a college friend about cartoons and said something to the effect of, "I let Punkin watch Spongebob sometimes, but just certain episodes."
Ya, that was a lie. I didn't mean to lie, I think it was what I hope to do from now on rather than our reality.

See, there's this one episode where Spongebob is at Mrs. Puff's Boating School and a new student, Flatts the Flounder, sits down next to him. Spongebob leans over to greet him and Flatts answers, "I'm gonna kick your butt." Flatts, Spongebob, and a myriad of other supporting characters including an angry, middle-aged fish who chases a senior citizen fish down the street repeat this choice phrase about 37 times, maybe more, during the 13 minute episode.

Why? Why would I not skip over this episode on the DVD? Why would I let him watch it multiple times? Because I forget.

I forget that my little guy has a fantastic memory and when he's sitting on the potty he may begin throwing fists at me as if I am a punching bag while "pow-pow-powing" in hushed tones. "What are you doing?"

"I kick ya butt."

"Punkin, Flatts made a bad choice....."

2 comments:

Kristiem10 said...

Oh dear! Too bad those phrases can't be removed from their brains as easily as they can learn them.

Wombat Central said...

They pick up the less-than-savory phrases like lightening, don't they? Ugh. I know mine have watch shows I thought were perfectly innocuous, only to repeat something later I was not all that pleased about. I always mean to stick to my guns about limiting TV time every day. Thankfully, school helps with that.