Tuesday, January 18, 2011

tonight may be the night

It's been four days since either of us have slept through the night, but I have a good feeling that tonight is the one. It has to be, right? Right?

He woke up on Friday at 4:15am, but it was FRIDAY -- respite day -- so I was in good spirits. Saturday was not good. He woke up at 4:15am again and I don't know if it was my sour mood or his high-powered engine, but the morning ended in me calling my mom in tears, "Will you just c-c-come over w-w-w-when you're done?" I couldn't handle the loudness of his toys and the stress of him banging his head against the wall, which seems to be his new method of gaining my attention. A couple hours of silence later and I missed him too much to stay away any longer.

Sunday morning I planned to enroll him in Sunday School, but as I helped him sit up on the couch I noticed he felt hot. Sure enough, he had a fever. He spent the day in a lump on the couch, save the short time Oma and Opa brought me lunch, and the night whimpering. The next morning I noticed that he had a lump on his neck.

I don't remember the last time that he cried so much while sick. In fact, I don't remember the last time he cried this much at all. I slept in his bed and he woke up in the middle of the night and said, "Hurt," pointed to his mouth, "Hurt." He never expresses that he's in pain, so I was kind of excited that he communicated that to me, but also heartbroken that I couldn't do anything about it since he refuses to swallow pain medication.

He's on antibiotics for a swollen lymph node, which he will drink only because it's pink; he says, "is beauful." But so far nothing's changed, including the insanity of his sleep schedule. He first woke at 2:15am, we watched Alvin and the Chipmunks (because what else is there to do?), and we fell asleep again from about 4-6am.

I just wish I could get more out of him. I'm thankful for the communication skills he has, as they are certainly something to be proud of, but I still feel like he's an infant sometimes and I'm playing this guessing game about what is bothering him and why. I do secretly, or not so secretly anymore, enjoy the extra cuddle time.

3 comments:

Pam said...

oh my gosh- I hope he feels better soon...and sleeps better soon!

Jennie said...

You are so cute. And a man who loves pink is certainly a child of your loins.

Bonnie@TheFragileXFiles said...

aw...I love how he said pink "is beauful." How sweet. Just when we think we can't take another second of their fragilex-ness, they come out with something completely precious.