Tuesday, January 4, 2011

wah!

If your child has acid reflux, then you know how important their medication is to both of you. Punkin can miss up to two doses and be okay. Any more than that, and I'm cleaning up pukey sheets. For several years, he's been taking Prevacid Solutabs. They dissolve in a small amount of water on a spoon, they taste good, and they transport easily.

I called the other day to refill the prescription, hopeful that I wasn't calling too soon for medicaid's liking, but also not so late that we'd be out of pills. The automated system told me a generic was available, and I agreed to save the state some money and use it.

I went to pick it up and the woman hands me a large, cold bottle and a syringe. I ask her if this in fact the correct medication.

"Yes, it is."

"Can I get the solutabs instead? I know I agreed to the generic. I'm so sorry, he will refuse to take this."

"It looks like they make a solutab."

"Great."

"But insurance doesn't cover it."

"They always have before."

"Well, they change their policies a lot, and it's not the preferred drug."

Call me a control freak if you want, but I don't feel like a bunch of people on a committee somewhere should be able to decide which medications are available to me. And I mean available, because even this generic costs $263 for a month's supply. So while I'm grateful that medicaid is here to cover Punkin's medical needs, I am irritated at any insurance company (because medicaid isn't the only one that does it) that insists it knows something my child's doctor and I don't.

So now my son not only is unable to take chewable ritalin, which I found out they do make, because it's not covered, but now I get to fight with him to drink two teaspoons of reflux meds a day.

Maybe someone on that committee can come clean that yucky liquid off my kitchen floor.

7 comments:

Kristiem10 said...

I hate when stuff like that happens. Getting liquid meds into a fraggle can be next to impossible.

Umma said...

@*(&%&* insurance companies!

Wombat Central said...

I think that should be a requirement for them to administer the stuff they won't cover!

Vicki Davis said...

I'm so sorry, I know it is such a nightmare! Holly has been phlemy which makes her vomit which makes her refuse to drink which makes her not take her Sertraline, or her Motrin it is awful. I feel luck I haven't dealt with the insurance denials yet. I'm thinking of you guys.

blogzilly said...

Insurance companies are one of the greatest scams in the history of mankind. I know this because my wife is a Nurse Case Manager for one. Oh crap the horror stories she tells me. Would make you scream.

George said...

That is ridiculous. Seriously.
The US system is so screwed up.

(And sometimes, the gj-tube is a blessing.)

1 Special Family said...

Amen! The insurance company keeps changing our "preferred" meds too. I can't budget for them because the amounts are fluxuating so much. I think those people should spend a few months in our shoes!!! & bank accounts!