Thursday, February 10, 2011

doctor prescribed swimming? okay!

Apparently some people are incapable of, or perhaps just unwilling to, park at a 90 degree angle. Maybe they were sick that day in driver's education or maybe they were just so bad at it that the instructor decided, "You know what, it's not that big of a deal. We'll just move on." I suppose it isn't that big of a deal, but it sure is annoying.

You know what else is annoying? I clean my bathroom, or at the very least the toilet, almost every day and yet it stinks like a barn in there. Is it just the result of having a young child in the house? WHERE IS THE HIDDEN PEE???

These were the thoughts running through my head yesterday as I drove Punkin to one of his favorite places, occupational therapy. For the past few weeks we've been able to use the pool for his sessions, and he is in heaven.

The first week he yelled at me because I didn't bring my swimming suit, too, so I've been sure to "go wimming" the past few weeks as well. She likes to put wet towels around his neck/back and have him look for foam letters floating in the water. And yesterday they worked on pre-scissor skills by squeezing alligator squirters through a target. His favorite, though, is when he lays on a foam raft and she spins him 10 times in one direction and then 10 times in the opposite direction. It's amazing how calm he is the rest of the day and the next morning. It's my favorite.

So no matter how hectic Wednesday afternoons can be because I'm rushing to gather our swim stuff, drive us across town, get him changed, get him dried off and changed again, and then make it home in time for respite so that I can run errands, I LOVE THERAPY. And we love swimming.

4 comments:

American in Bath said...

I think the toilets might be a problem with males in the house generally. Even when they sit, or say they do, still smells like pee. A friend of mine bought a black light to locate it, turns out, kid peeing in the sink.

Jennie said...

Oh, gross! In the SINK!!! But sadly I am not surprised.

On another note: YAAY calm baby!

Anonymous said...

Oh, the spinning...I had forgotten how much Robert used to LOVE going on the Tea Cup ride at Disneyland.
:))))

Pam said...

the bathroom issue is definitely a boy thing...I could NEVER seem to get our bathroom clean enough when my boys were younger. Scrub the walls, floor, toilet...you name it...STILL smelled like pee...come on boys... AIM! :)
on another note- swimming therapy sounds like great fun!