Tuesday, March 15, 2011

meanwhile, i desperately await a call from the pediatrician

Have you ever seen a fish flopping in a puddle of water on a dock? It was like that. That sort of unbridled, thwacking energy flinging from side to side combined with the power of at least two cheetah cubs took over my son this evening and wouldn't let go. It was rather amazing, actually.

It's sort of been climbing a scale from "eh" to "oh boy" to "HE HAS TO STOP" over the past month and just tonight my dear friend Jennie asked me, after I told her that there was sadly no more Ritalin left in our day, "Is there anything you can give him to calm him down?" I had to say, "No, no there's not. Maybe a Mountain Dew. I really don't know. I called his doctor."

I tried "jumping" him upside-down on my lap; he flounced off. I tried bouncing him upright on the ball; he purposely fell over. I tried squishing him; he squeezed out. So we went back to brushing. I think it worked. Either that or he finally pooped out. The effect wasn't immediate, though, like in the past, so it was difficult to tell. I need to give it a few more days. Brushing is a pain, but it's better than Fish Cheetah Boy.

So anyway, we're moving on Sunday. I am so excited because it's a ground floor and it has a pool and a playground. We're going to stomp our feet all day long on that ground floor. And I've been such a high-strung mess at home trying to avoid being the recipient of any more delightful notes that I think it's rubbing off on Punkin.

But just like he always does, he brought me back down to earth with a good laugh. He hates when I wash his hair because I have to dump water on his head. So tonight while he's in the bath, before I even have a chance to break out the soap, he turns to me with the water cup and says, "Ready? One more time!" and I got a (very much deserved) face full.

7 comments:

Logans momma said...

I love reading your blog posts, and would like to award you with a Stylish Blogger Award! Please go to my blog to see the instructions on how to accept this award :)

Jennie said...

Glad he finally gave you some quiet! I hate water being dumped on my head too.

Laura said...

You are moving on Sunday. Do NOT worry about the notes. If that self-absorbed downstairs neighbor leaves you any more, just rip them up without reading them. You only have a few days left--as we said that one time at Randall's, "Do we need a letter of recommendation from ANY of these people?"

Love you.

Umma said...

I'm sorry he's struggling so...I think you should stomp on the floor you have right now for the rest of the week. I'm evil like that.

Kristiem10 said...

Yeah, I wouldn't worry about passive-aggressive-notemaker. Live your life. If he doesn't like it, too bad. Also, I agree that brushing is a pain, but it is useful to us for calming. We don't do it as much as we should, though. I am so happy for you that you're moving! We'll need a photo tour when you get there. :)

Anonymous said...

Srsly. Your neighbor is a pain. Perhaps he should have chosen a top floor apartment. Idiot.
I agree with you that trying to contain the activity is stressing you and wearing off on the boy. Probably making it worse. If he makes some noise..so what!
Happy moving!
Love you, AK

blogzilly said...

I may have to try and learn a thing or two about those techniques for calming. I'm just scared to try them. I don't want to do it wrong and cause an issue.

Mine hates the water dump too...hmmm...