Sunday, August 14, 2011

kids, they're all the same in the end

I have to admit that every time I thought about this summer last year, I panicked inside. And maybe a little on the outside, too. (Sorry, Oma, for all the grumpies.) Where would he go? What if it was awful? I want him to make friends, have structure, be happy. WHAT WILL I DO???!!!

Well, I have to give my mom props for advocating to me and to the summer program at her school to allow Punkin to attend. All day? Check! Fun? Check! Affordable? Check! For children with special needs? Not so much a check. But, we all agreed to give it a try, and even though he pulled the fire alarm his first day (and during his second to last week) and succumbed to a few meltdowns, I just couldn't have imagined how much my little man would flourish over a few months.

My sweet Punkin has become Little Mr. Independent. When Oma showed up to help with a field trip, he actually told her "No, stay here" and walked over to stand with his friends. His friends! Those sweet boys - if they only knew how much they influenced a life simply through kindness.

And now? Now it all has to end, of course. The school district, in its wisdom, has transferred me to another building. So tomorrow morning, my Little Independent boards the bus for school. He's repeating kindergarten, which I think will be good for him. He'll be able to integrate more this year and really catch that social piece that was missing last year. But we're both nervous- so much so that the first three times I mentioned school, he smacked me. And at Unpack Your Backpack, he bit me.

"I know it is scary to be back at school."

"Scawey. I scawey."

"It will be okay."

"Okay, mom. I sowwy,, Mom."

So the panic began again, "Will he lose everything he's gained?"

And then I calmed down; it will be okay. We talked about it. A lot. And today when I asked him if he was ready to ride the bus, he answered with a resounding, "Yes!"

"Ready for bus to take you to school?"

"NO SCHOOL!"

"Well, where should the bus take you?"

"GO SWIMMING!"

1 comment:

Kristiem10 said...

Aww, this post really resonates with me right now. Poor Punkin and poor you! I'll be praying he has a fabulous transition.