Sunday, November 6, 2011

ice cream, i need ice cream

Once upon a time I owned a 1998 Toyota Camry. I crashed this Camry into another car on a perfectly beautiful day. The shop that repaired it had to fix the repair because the paint peeled off, and even so months later it peeled again. At that time I also discovered that the power-assist on my brakes was broken, which was likely the cause of my accident. By the time I sold the car several years later, for $300, it had mismatched wheels, one spare tire, a power steering fluid leak, a wobbly rear suspension, and a front end that rattled to the point that I feared it may fall off when I drove above 45mph.  And then there was the second accident, this time on a snowy day. The car wasn't in a good place.

So hooray, I got a new car -- a 2006 Honda Accord. Two weeks later, someone stole two of the alloy wheels and the brand-new tires. $500 deductible to replace $800 in wheels and repair $800 in body damage. Then, just a week ago, I noticed that the top of the door was bent as if someone had tried to break in. And Friday? Friday I crashed my car.

I am not meant to have nice things.

I was driving during my respite time at 9pm on a very busy street when I saw that an SUV was stopped at a green light. I hit the brakes, but not soon enough. My front bumper went under her back bumper, my hood crumpled, and all sorts of everything shattered. The airbags, however, did not go off. And I have a lot of airbags. The woman I hit called 911 and then told me that there was a car stopped in front of her, and of course that car had driven away. Lovely.

I cried. A lot. I've been through this before, but for some reason this time just sucked so bad, I think because there is the possibility they will total it and because my head hurts.

So, in an effort to make myself feel better, I will think not about how Punkin woke me up at 2am or about coming up with another $500 deductible (that's an entire paycheck); I will instead pray, know that God provides, be thankful that I am alive and in working order, and I will picture this:
Gracie, the church's comfort dog, with Punkin during worship today.

2 comments:

Kristiem10 said...

That definitely stinks, and I will pray that the Lord provides for your every need. In the meantime, that picture just melts me.

The Mom said...

Let us know how we can help...seriously. I'd be happy to get you ice cream (only if you share) but help with the deductible is also an option.