Monday, February 27, 2012

i ride a bus in a morning?

My son thrives on routine and consistency, a fact which doesn't surprise anyone with a child who has special needs. He also really loves riding the bus. So much so, in fact, that he will dress himself in jeans, a shirt, socks and shoes, coat, hat, backpack, and harness (with my help) for bed so that he's ready the next morning. Now, this wasn't a big deal for a long time; he wore his shoes to bed once in a while (I could talk him out of the rest of the items) and it looked odd but never caused a problem. Lately, though, he won't let himself fall asleep because he's so concerned about the bus. One night he was awake, sobbing, until midnight. This is a problem. A big problem. For me.

So I e-mailed his speech pathologist and begged help, and she rallied to the cause in a big way. Here's what we came up with:



I still need to add the names and/or pictures of his respite workers and his occupational therapist to the appropriate days, but so far he has really taken to it. I think I'll cross off each day with a dry erase marker so that he can clearly see what's happening next. It's all attached using velcro so that I can change it easily as needed.

1 comment:

Kristiem10 said...

I love it! Amazing how a visual support is so helpful for our kids. You know I am a big fan of picture schedules.