Sunday, May 13, 2012

food talk

This list is why I haven't been blogging; I've been stuck at the store reading labels. And to make matters worse, I've been eating a salad dressing with balsamic vinegar for a week now and just realized it tonight! Oh, and the tortillas did not taste very good, but I imagine it was the lack of salt.

This problem, for me, is much more than a headache, and I realized it after I ate (accidentally) a heavy dose of MSG at a restaurant. By the time I got home, I could feel the pain moving down my arms, into my hands, and down through each one of my fingers. And then I just felt tired and awful all over. I forgot that I used to feel lethargic all the time. I'm still dealing with that pain today, mostly in my hands, because some foods that normally would have caused a brief headache have aggravated the MSG reaction.

So no bacon, ham, or lunch meat. And no tomatoes for the time being. And no white flour (niacin), only 100 percent whole wheat.  And none of the items below, because I am a highly sensitive person.

I'm not saying you shouldn't eat these foods -- by all means, enjoy! I don't judge; I'm just trying to explain because I've been getting lots of questions. And yes, I am feeling better when I am eating right. It's remarkable, actually.

 

 

Names of ingredients that contain MSG

by MSG aliases exposed on Sunday, February 20, 2011 at 1:21pm ·
This post contains a list of common ingredients that contain processed (manufactured) free glutamic acid (MSG).  Glutamic acid found in unadulterated protein does not cause adverse reactions.  To cause adverse reactions, the glutamic acid must have been processed/ manufactured or come from protein that has been fermented.

There are more than 40 different ingredients that contain the chemical (processed {manufactured} free glutamic acid) that causes adverse reactions.  The following list has been compiled over the last 20 years from consumers’ reports of adverse reactions and information provided by manufacturers and food technologists. The numbers refer to E- numbers, used in Europe in place of food additive names.

You can DOWNLOAD THE LIST from our web page (www.truthinlabeling.org/hiddensources_printable.pdf).
________________________

Names of ingredients that always contain processed free glutamic acid. 

Glutamic acid (E 620),  Glutamate (E 620)
Monosodium glutamate (E 621)
Monopotassium glutamate (E 622)
Calcium glutamate (E 623)
Monoammonium glutamate (E 624)
Magnesium glutamate (E 625)
Natrium glutamate
Yeast extract
anything “hydrolyzed”
any “hydrolyzed protein”
Calcium caseinate,  Sodium caseinate
Yeast food, Yeast nutrient
Autolyzed yeast
Gelatin
Textured protein
Soy protein, soy protein concentrate
Soy protein isolate
Whey protein, whey protein concentrate
Whey protein isolate
anything  “…protein”
Worcestershire sauce
Ajinomoto, Vetsin
Balsamic vinegar

Names of ingredients that often contain or produce processed free glutamic acid:

Carrageenan (E 407)
Bouillon and broth, Stock
Vinegar
any  “flavors” or “flavoring”
Maltodextrin
Citric acid, Citrate (E 330)
anything “ultra-pasteurized”
Barley malt
Pectin (E 440)
Protease
anything “enzyme modified”
anything containing “enzymes”
Malt extract
Soy sauce
Soy sauce extract
anything “protein fortified”
anything “fermented”
Seasonings

The following are ingredients suspected of containing or creating sufficient processed free glutamic acid to serve as MSG-reaction triggers in HIGHLY SENSITIVE people:

Corn starch
Corn syrup
Modified food starch
Lipolyzed butter fat
Dextrose
Rice syrup
Brown rice syrup
Milk powder
Reduced fat milk (skim; 1%; 2%)
most things  low fat or no fat
anything Enriched
anything Vitamin enriched

The following work synergistically with MSG to enhance flavor.  If they are present for flavoring, so is MSG.

Disodium 5’-guanylate (E 627)      Disodium 5’-inosinate (E-631)     Disodium 5'-ribonucleotides (E 635)
___________________

You can DOWNLOAD this LIST from our web page (www.truthinlabeling.org/hiddensources_printable.pdf).

2 comments:

Heidi C. said...

Your list of avoided food reminds me a LOT of the Primal Blueprint, which I'm starting these days. The plan (which besides eating plan, includes lifestlye). You should definitely check "Mark's Daily Apple" blog. You won't have to make your own recipes anymore, since, I swear, your restrictions are almost identical to those of the Primal lifestyle.

Best! from a mom who found you through the Dooce community.

the other lion said...

Thanks, Heidi. :)