Tuesday, August 14, 2012

dear bus company,

It would appear to me that you have a single mission, a clear purpose, a daunting yet noble task which only you can complete. You must, five days of each week, transport children to and from school in a safe and efficient manner. That is your job.

It would also seem to me, being as how school begins at a certain time each day and that students are not allowed (by law) to ride the bus for longer than one hour at a time, that you as a company would be extremely concerned with time.

Riddle me this, then, Batman. A member of your staff called me on Friday to ask if it was okay to pick up Punkin on the street that intersects with ours (A Street) rather than our street itself (B Street) due to heavy traffic on B Street. I agreed that this was indeed not only preferred by me, but in fact the approach that was taken last year. So, I was to expect a bus on A street at 6:54 Monday morning. Wonderful.

Monday morning came and went with no sign of the bus. I was late to work, Punkin was anxious, and we were both confused. I called that afternoon and was told that the bus was scheduled for 6:46am. That's a smidge earlier than 6:54, but okay.

Now it's Tuesday morning, this morning in fact, and Punkin and I are sitting on the couch, which happens to have a large window above it that faces B Street. He's just thrown his applesauce/medicine across the room because he "can't want it" when I catch a glimpse of something yellow outside. Sure enough, there's his bus, five minutes early and on the wrong street. Before I can even run outside to beg for an extra minute to find his shoes, the bus pulls away.

So we both know, Bus Company, that I called and spoke to someone and you returned for my sweetheart, without a harness I might add.  But fine, he's off to school and I can get ready for work. The problem is we were both so frazzled that I honest to goodness wept. I lost it.

I worry each and every day about the choices I make, about his future, about whether or not he has friends his age, about his physical health and emotional stability, that having to add "the bus" and our hectic goodbye to my list broke me. It done did me in. I only had about five minutes to spare for a pity party, though, so I put on my big girl panties and left for work.

So, uh, what time you planning on coming tomorrow morning? What street will you be on? Will you have a harness for my precious son who loves to wander? Whatcha think? You'll get right on that? Awesome.

Sincerely,

A Momma with a Bad Case of "The Irritated"


2 comments:

Jennie said...

Yeah, Bus Company, how 'bout it?

Jenna said...

HI
Hi My Name is Jenna
You are a brave courageous fighter, and an inspiration.
I was born with a rare life threatening disease, 14 other medical conditions, and developmental delays.
Tis a lesson you should heed,
Try, try again;
If at first you don't succeed,
Try, try again;
Then your courage should appear,
For, if you will persevere,
You will conquer, never fear;
Try, try again
who invented fire? some bright spark