Monday, August 6, 2012

teaching an old dog new tricks

Many people over the past two months, after hearing about my food "allergies" have, with good reason, looked at me with pity and asked, "Well, what can you eat?" Thankfully I have been spared any negative repercussions from eating cheese, but I cannot have bananas. If I go to a restaurant, there's not much -- a hamburger with no bun and a side of vegetables is usually safest. But if I make it myself, I can have almost anything; and I feel so much better for it. I've learned that enriched flour gives me a headache in the back of my head and neck. High fructose corn syrup, MSG, and high amounts of nitrates give me a headache on the top of my head along with blurred vision. And malted barley flour gives me a stabbing pain behind my left eye. But I can eat as much Haagen Dazs ice cream as I please, and I do. I've also learned to make a few things on my own.

I made my own Alfredo sauce and not only was it simple, it was tasty. I am quite content to live without sauce from a jar.

Chicken Noodle Soup (with homemade broth from a friend)

Whole Wheat Chocolate Chip Cookies. Amazing.
Oh, and there's also the Macaroni and Cheese, which was so delicious I never got a picture. I feel like such a good grown-up, which is fitting seeing as how I turn 30 in a few days.

(All of the recipes were from Better Homes and Garden. Email me if you want more information.)

2 comments:

The Mom said...

Those cookies were astounding and totally beautiful. Your gift of presentation with food is great. That is one skill I have yet to aquire in the kitchen.

Suburban Correspondent said...

So long as you've got the HaagenDazs, you'll be okay. And chocolate, of course...